You start with 6 1/2 pounds of tomatoes. Wash, core, quarter and then simmer for 20 minutes. Then you smush out all the juice, leaving the seeds and skin.
Than you boil and boil and boil and boil and boil and boil and boil...(you get the point) FOREVER. At that point you get a measly 3 cups or so of sauce. Yes, it tastes and smells delicious but is definetly not worth my time to make it:) If I had bought these tomatoes on sale for .99 per pound(lucky find) then it would be about $7 a jar, not counting the energy costs to boil. These were from my garden and I'm sure probably more than .99 per pound. So I will no longer sigh at the price of spaghetti saunce...I'll just be grateful I didn't have to make it:)
3 comments:
We're starting to get some ripe tomatoes from our garden. We don't eat a ton of fresh tomatoes, so I've been trying to find ways to incorporate them into my everyday cooking. I found a great recipe for fresh tomato sauce in my Betty Crocker cookbook that I thought was really good and easy. It was uncooked too. I can email it to you if you want it.
It is an efficient way to use up a lot of tomatoes though! I started just cutting the tops off, quartering them and putting them in the blender. Then I boil it down to sauce-like Constancy. The seeds and the peels are still there, but the peels cook down to where you don't notice them and the seeds aren't that difficult to deal with.
Amen Sister.
Post a Comment