Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Break From the Heat

The temperature has been so hot this past week...over 100 for many days. Yesterday we had a very nice break with temperatures in the low 80s, rain, and cloud cover all day. It was beautiful. Darrell decided to take a break from studying so we could enjoy this rare weather out of doors. About 30 minutes from our house we found this beautiful spot last year and returned yesterday. It's on the north side of Lake Pleasant and you can only get to it by walking, biking, or four wheeling, so it is very secluded and quiet.

This picture of me is not great, but I just wanted to show the nice seat I enjoyed while the kids played. Emily is filling bullet casings with sand. Darrell found them on the ground and she played with them forever. It's funny what amuses kids.

This is Derek "fishing." There were lots of really long branches that he enjoyed playing with. He also found a bungee chord and amused himself with climbing trees.

This face on Emily was just so hilarious, I had to post the picture.

The day was beautiful and sitting by the water the temp was probably in the mid 70s. It was gorgeous! It was slightly breezy and anytime I was about to say it was a little chilly, I remembered that I had been sweating to death for days and remembered to be grateful for the short respite.

Darrell braided some vines together and these pictures are of the kids modeling a crown made from them.

I was tired later that evening from all the walking, but it was so worth it. We were so relaxed, the kids enjoyed it and it felt like we had left the city behind...something Darrell desperately wants to do permanently:)

Emily usually naps before noon, but we did not leave until almost 2pm from the water. On the walk out she was soooo tired and was falling asleep riding on dad's shoulders. She was completely out when we got to the car, and slept most of the way home. Even Derek, who does not nap anymore, took a nap on the way home. I shut my eyes for a while when I could no longer keep them open, and Darrell took a nap when we got home. It was a great day!

2 comments:

Brady & Jessica said...

What a fun family outing. And a welcome relief from the heat I'm sure. You are a trooper to do all that walking with only a month to go. Can't wait to see pictures of your sweet new baby. Good luck with everything - Jessica

LOVE TO DANCE said...

Kendra,
I just read your post from the beginning of May on your "mission" you inspire me. What a force for good you both will be. I know it. I have always felt Darrell has something significant ahead of him, and you are the perfect partner and contibuter, pilot of that. Oh I miss you badly. I hope we can see you soon. I hate being away from my family.
LL