Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sedona daytrip

A couple weeks ago we took a trip to Sedona just for kicks and giggles. It was a cloudy cool day and we were feeling trapped in our house so we decided to do something spontaneous...a rarity for Darrell and I.

Our first stop was a small hiking trip around some of the wonderfully beautiful red rock formations just outside of Sedona. It was a short hike, because any hike with 3 little kids does not last long. Emily enjoyed playing with the fine red dust and Derek like finding sticks. Both of them of course were on the look out for rocks.

Our next stop was a museum. I absolutely love historical pioneer museums. This was the old Schnebly farm. It was a farm that grew fruit trees, mainly apples. The kids enjoyed the time because they got free little toys. In the fruit shed there was a little kids corner with costumes and crayons that they could play with. They loved that.

This is Sarah sitting on a saddle in the kid area. The museum trip was very relaxing for me. I bought a few history of Arizona books...I'm a sucker for oral histories...and the kids bought some rocks. The main part of Sedona was so incredibly crowded, but the museum we had all to ourselves...it was great. After the museum we stopped at KFC for lunch. It was almost 2 by then and all of us were quite hungry.

On the way out of Sedona we stopped and visited the grave of Darrell's grandpa. Derek kept wanting to take all the flowers off graves and they both wanted to stay and play. But of course we said no...there is just something odd about letting kids run all over graves:)

On the way home we stopped by a creek. It has been raining so much as of late that the water was flowing beautifully. The kids of course enjoyed lots of time throwing rocks into the water and watching the water splash. Derek liked hoping from rock to rock.

The picture on the right is Derek trying to hide when it was time to go. He did not want to leave, but Dad and Mom were exhausted.
This is Sarah and I watching the kids play. Yes...I am the wimpy one. I was freezing sitting by the water, especially since it was windy, so I was all bundled up. No one else seemed to mind. It was a tiring day and the kids had their cranky moments, but all in all it was an awesome trip.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope you got some fresh spring water while you guys were up there :)