Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

Kidschool begins...

One of the ingredients for implementing a TJEd is "kidschool." This is the time of the day that may look like school and where I am supposed to share "what is mine." I had planned on starting in the fall, after the baby had come and things started to get back into a little normalcy. But, I have been feeling very prompted to start now and so today was our first official day of kidschool. Derek is only 4 and Emily only 1, so it is not to academic like but a time for me to teach what is important to me for them to learn. My mind has been flooded with ideas and the hardest part will be to hold back and not go too crazy. I tend to over plan everything, and one of the keys of teaching for TJEd is "Simplicity, Not Complexity," which in this case for me, means not planning every kidschool to the T.

I have set aside 9am-12pm everyday for kidschool. This is the time I plan on doing kidschool from now to who knows when so I have slowly been adjusting my schedule to fit this and everything I guess has just fallen into place. I explained to Derek the new plan last week. Of course he didn't really get it, but after today I know he'll never let me forget:) I told him it could be short or long. Well, when it was time for lunch around noon he said he wanted it longer. I told him he would just have to wait until the morning because I had things I had to do in the afternoon.

Tuesdays and Thursdays we have been doing joy school (just us), and will continue that, but will add kidschool after joyschool and then of course on MWF. Today we read 1 chapter of Charlotte's Web, 1 article from the friend magazine, 1 poem, 10 library books, colored a picture from the friend, did a few random pages from the preschool workbook he has, a numbers matching game cut out from the workbook, a letters matching game cut out from the workbook, made cookies for Family Home Evening. Things will vary from day to day but I'm excited and he is excited and that is what is important:)

3 comments:

Rachel and Jared Lautenschlager said...

Hi Kendra! I"m enjoying keeping tabs on your homeschooling activities! I thought you might like to check out a topic I studied in my masters program, its called Habits of Mind, originated by Arthur Costa and Bena Kallick. It essentially teaches a child how to think and what to do when they encounter a problem since we can't always immediately know an answer. I really found this research to be amazing, especially in a learning scenario and immediately started incorporating it into what I do at home with Karianna-very positive and a great way to help her learn to think through things on her own. I thought it might complement your views with TJed. Let me know if you would like more info-the website to check out is http://www.habits-of-mind.net/ and the four book series on habits of mind at the bottom of the home page is great :)

Matt, Katie, Jayden, Jolie & Harlie said...

I want to come to Kidschool. Lucky kid. Is Emily down for a nap at this time? Or does she get to do it too?

LOVE TO DANCE said...

Oh you are my inspiriation!
Good job!!!It gave me an idea for what i need to do, THanks